What is Workers’ Compensation?
The Workers’ Compensation Act in Nebraska is designed to provide benefits to employees who sustain injury by accident or occupational disease arising out of and in the course of their employment, and who are not willfully negligent at the time of the injury. The Nebraska Workers’ Compensation Act is the exclusive remedy for Nebraska employees, and the benefits available to you are set by law.
What Benefits am I Eligible For?
If you get hurt on the job, your employer is required to pay you workers’ compensation benefits. However, it is YOUR responsibility to show that you were working at the time of the injury or illness and that the injury or illness was caused by work. If those requirements are met, you may be entitled to:
Industries With Workers’ Comp
Workers’ compensation claims are more common in some industries than others. Some of the most common jobs with workers’ compensation are in the following industries.
- Trucking and Transportation
- Plumbers and Electricians
- Registered Nurses and Certified Nursing Assistants
Frequently Asked Questions
Filing a Claim
- Who is Covered by Workers’ Compensation?
- What should I do immediately following a work injury?
- Where Do I File a Workers’ Compensation Claim in Nebraska?
- What if the injury occurred in a different state? Should Nebraska work injury laws apply?
- Should I Report My Workers’ Compensation Claim?
- What injuries are NOT covered by workers’ compensation?
- When should I report my work injuries?
- Are Mental Injuries Covered under Nebraska Law?
- What is the Statute of Limitations for filing a workers’ compensation claim?
- What type of information should I gather for my workers’ compensation claim?
- What do all the workers’ compensation acronyms mean?
Payment / Compensation
Hiring a Workers’ Compensation Attorney
- Can my employer stop me from getting workers’ compensation benefits?
- How much time do I have to report my injury and file a claim?
- How much work can you miss with a workers’ compensation claim?
- Unemployment vs. Workers’ Compensation
- What are cumulative trauma injuries and can I be compensated for them?
- What are the risks of filing a workers’ compensation claim?
- What happens if I cannot return to work?
- What if I caused my own injury?
- What is an independent medical examination (IME)?
- Workers’ compensation benefits vs. SSDI
- Suggestions for your Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE)